Jeff Ebstein has specialized in commercial real estate transactional matters since 1984. Prior to founding Real Estate Law Group, LLP in 1996, Jeff was a partner at Bronson, Bronson & McKinnon and was associated with Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison.
Jeff has a national leasing, construction and hotel practice, including acquisitions and sales of commercial property and real and personal property secured financings. In addition, Jeff has lectured for the University of California, Continuing Education of the Bar, on commercial leasing, with emphasis on office leasing.
- Represented lending institutions and borrowers in connection with construction and permanent financing for hotels, self-storage facilities, industrial and office projects, and commercial and energy production related projects, including wind power projects, in loan amounts totaling in excess of $7 billion. For example, Jeff represented (i) hospitality companies in various financings and construction projects, including various Hotel Palomars and Hotel Monacos throughout the U.S., The Argonaut Hotel in San Francisco and the Marriott Hotel in Mission Bay in San Francisco, (ii) U.S. Windpower in numerous wind power financings, (iii) as California counsel, the lender in a $120 million construction financing for Hills Plaza, a mixed-use office and residential project on the waterfront in San Francisco; (iv) the lender in a renovation and refinancing loan for a 30-story Holiday Inn Hotel in the Union Square area of San Francisco; and (v) as California counsel, the lender in a hotel loan secured by thirteen (13) hotels to a publicly traded REIT. Jeff also represents a number of national hotel companies in connection with hotel management, financings and construction matters.
- Represented pension funds, institutional investors and developers in the optioning, purchase, development, ground lease and sale of raw land and improved real property in Northern and Southern California. For example, Jeff represented (i) the purchaser of a 40-story office building in downtown San Francisco for $205 million; (ii) the purchaser of a 13-story office building in downtown San Francisco; (iii) the purchaser of the banking headquarters of a major California bank in San Francisco; and (iv) the seller of a 10-story Union Square office building in downtown San Francisco.
- Maintains a nationwide leasing practice which encompasses "build to suit," ground, office, high-tech, industrial warehouse and retail leases.
- Represented government agencies in the negotiation and liquidation of various real properties and the workout of secured loans.
- Represented technology and biotechnology companies in various leases in Silicon Valley and San Francisco.
Baco Realty Corporation, Center for Elders' Independence, EastGroup Properties REIT, Eye Surgery Center of San Francisco, LP, Franklin Street Properties Corporation, Getty Trusts, Howard Properties, Inc., KHP Capital Partners, L.P., Maxar Technologies Holdings, Inc., Rincon Associates, Security Public Storage, SF Police Credit Union, Inc. and Stanford Hospitality, Inc.
Speaking and Teaching Engagements
Continuing Education of the Bar (CEB) Lecturer, Commercial Real Property Leases: May 1991, November 1994, June 1997, and November 1997.
Professional Awards, Affiliations and Appointments
- Northern California Super Lawyers, 2006 – 2019
- California State Bar Association (Real Property and Business Sections)
- Bar Association of San Francisco (Real Estate Section)
- Lake Merced Golf Club
- Board of Trustees, Lick-Wilmerding High School, San Francisco, California, 2001 – 2008
- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1983
AmJur Awards in Contracts and in Conflicts of Law
Dickinson International Law Society
- Edinburgh University, Scotland
First Class Honors
- A.B., with Distinction, History, University of California, Berkeley, 1980
Phi Beta Kappa
Admitted to Practice